Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Bedding Review

Item: KAYTEE® Clean & Cozy COLORS Small Pet Bedding
Rate: ★★☆☆☆
Used for: Guinea Pig and Chinchilla
Would not buy again
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12339026&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo 

I've been trying different types of bedding the last couple of months and this is one of my least favorites. 
The bedding is nice and soft, looks soft, and my pets enjoy sleeping on it. Cleaning the cage after using this bedding however is AWFUL. 
The bedding sticks to the bottom of the cage and has to be scraped of. It doesn't soak up very much pee and it quickly 
Changes from purple to yellow. When the bedding is dumped it also leaves behind a high amount of dust It gets a little smelly by the time I need to clean the cage (once a week) but the smell isn't too bad
It is disgusting to clean up however and needs to be changed sooner than every week


Item:Vitakraft® Pellet Litter
Rate:★★★★★
Used for: Chinchilla
Would buy again
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12341297&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

This is one of my favorite types of bedding. It's a pretty cheap price but I only get 2 cage fills out of it. It's easy to clean up, recycled material
It smells fresh ALL THE TIME and it doesn't stick to the floor like the Clean & Cozy. This bedding is easy to clean out  andonly leaves behind a small amount of dust. 


Item:CareFRESH® Natural™ Premium Soft Bedding
Used for: Mice, Guinea Pig, and Chinchilla
Guinea Pig Rate:☆☆☆
Mice Rate:★★★☆☆
Chinchilla Rate: ★★★★☆
Would use for certain animals
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753657&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

I had 2 pet mice a few years back and this was the only bedding I used for them. It was a perfect bedding for them 
To dig in (Levi loved to dig in it!) and they enjoyed sleeping on it. They would actually carry the bedding into their toys 
and sleep on it. This bedding was easy to dump out, didn't need to be scraped. It did leave behind dust but not too much
The bedding got a little stinky by the end of the week but Mice are always stinky anyway. 

I will never use this bedding again for my Guinea Pig. Only changing this bedding once a week is out of the question. 
It needs to be changed every TWO DAYS! Other wise it smells like you've become a serial killer.  Not only does it smell
horrible but it is horrendous to change. I dump the dirty bedding into a garbage bag but there is no dumping here. The pee 
and poo turns this bedding into one solidified mass that has to broken into chunks and scraped out. This bedding also made
my cage rot in certain places. My guinea pig needed a bath after using this bedding because she stunk as well. 

This is great bedding for a chinchilla. SMELL WISE you could probably go 2 weeks before needing to change it. The bedding can be dumped out
(Chinchillas go to the bathroom less than a guinea pig). I didn't experience any rotting and the bedding didn't need to be scraped out
My chinchilla has an igloo on the floor of his cage and another house on one of his shelves. When I use this bedding he loves to sleep in the igloo. 


Item:Kaytee KayKob Bedding
Rate:★★★★☆
Used for: Doves, Guinea Pig, Chinchilla
Would use again
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753575&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

I buy this bedding in a 17 L bag for $21. It's available in stores but I didn't see it online. I love how much bedding you get
when buying this. I can usually fill the Guinea Pig's cage twice, the Chinchilla's cage twice and the doves cage once. 
I never smelled anything while using this bedding and it also leaves behind ZERO dust. My chinchilla doesn't love to dig in this stuff
He hollows out his igloo and builds himself a "nest" whenever I use this. The only complaint I have is the peed on bedding does stick
to the bottom of the cage but it easily comes off. However the parts of the cage where the bedding stuck permanently changed color. 
My chinchilla's cage is black, now with white spots and the same happened to my guinea's purple cage. I don't experience any 
problem with this bedding for my doves. 


Item:Kaytee Soft-Sorbent Lavender Scented Bedding
Rate:★★★★★
Used for: Guinea Pig and Chinchilla
Would definitely use again
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753648&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

This is my favorite bedding. I never use wood bedding because I don't want my animals getting mites. This one is a mixture of 
wood and other bedding. Flowers are also in the bedding to keep it smelling good and it works. My cages need to be cleaned tomorrow and so far I don't smell a thing. 
The bedding still looks brand new in both cages. The bedding doesn't seem to be ticking and I don't notice any dust. 
I love this bedding and so do my pets. They enjoy sleeping on it. I'll post more of a review after I clean my cages. 
This bedding also came with enough to fill both of my cages twice. I bought this bedding only a week ago. This is my first time using it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment